2013---Church-Banner

Home

Newsletter

Pastor

History

Calendar

Bible Study

Ministries

Music

Preschool

Beliefs

Devotion

Prayers

Projects

MELHS

Links

E-mail:
Church Office

History of St. Paul Lutheran Church

100+ Years of Blessings. . .

St. Paul Lutheran Church began in September 1916 with the installation of its first pastor, Reverend Richard Torgler.  Services were held in the public school auditorium in Wood River.  In September 1918, St. Paul's first church was completed on Fifth and Lorena in Wood River, but the dedication was  delayed for three months because of the influenza epidemic at that time.

The congregation continued to grow and St. Paul needed a larger place of worship.  In 1935, lots were purchased at the corner of Third and Beach Streets.  Delayed by a shortage of money and World War II, ground was finally broken for the erection of the new church in August 1950. The church was completed in August 1951 and the sanctuary held 200 people.

In 1958, after beginning to outgrow the present church building, the congregation purchased a tract of land (10 acres) on Vaughn Road.  In 1960, the new parsonage was built and the old parsonage was converted to house Sunday School and Bible Classes.

On June 24, 1966 the educational building was completed and dedicated on Vaughn Road. The congregation worshiped in  the basement auditorium and classrooms and offices were located on the upper level.

On June 4, 1972 the sanctuary was dedicated in the new church on 1327 Vaughn Road, where worship continues today. The congregation completed many building and ground improvements preparing to celebrate its 90th anniversary in 2006.  Many projects are still underway as St. Paul Lutheran Church prepares for the future.

We have been blessed with an awesome location and a tremendous facility.

Pastors Serving St. Paul

1914 - 1916

Walter C. Dierker

1916 - 1917

Richard Torgler

1918 - 1925

Paul H. Hansen

1925 - 1952

Norman L. Wolff

1953 - 1961

Alfred Beck

1962 - 1973

Reuben Meyer

1973 - 1975

Alan Baumgartel

1976 - 1981

Charles T. Knippel

1983 - 1991

Allen D. Lunneberg

1991 - 2017

Martin A. Schultz

Copyright © 2009-2017 St. Paul Lutheran Church - Wood River, Illinois